Phlebitis - Effective Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis.
What treatment has been effective for your phlebitis?

Following a routine and uneventful venipuncture at my doctor's office, I noticed that the arm had a depression or groove that followed the vein and ran most of the length of the arm. This looked deformed. Also there were swollen places on my arm. It started to hurt. There was redness in the fold of the arm where the blood had been taken, and it spread. I thought that the venipuncturist had collapsed the vein, anyway I ignored it and it improved without my doing anything, but it didn't go away. The pain went away except occasionally and the redness went away but the swelling and the 'groove' over the vein did not lessen or go away. When I went the doctor some months later, he diagnosed it as phlebitis. Using a heating pad has helped. Now I also see something similar on my other arm but in the back of the arm. The venipuncturist took blood from that arm at the doctor's office this time, but the 'groove' or depression is over a vein in the back of the arm, not where she took blood. Weird..

It's been 3 months and I still am having problems with my right arm. I had a wrist angiogram and an IV in that same arm. After I was released, I was back in emergency being tested for a blood clot, following my angiogram. I was told that I had no blood clot but that I had phlebitis. I was told to go home and run hot water all over my arm. The swelling was greatly reduced. The problem I am having now is grasping things and mostly strength issues due to the pain. The pain seems to worsen in the evening and while I am sleeping the pain wakes me. .