Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ulcerative Colitis.
For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in 1994, when I went to the emergency room for rectal bleeding. For years, I was not in a financial position to get treatment. I tried raw foods, going vegan for a while, and it kept symptoms to a minimum for a few years. Then two years ago, I started having diarrhea with mucus and sometimes blood several times a day. Every meal ended with an emergency trip to the bathroom. Then my symptoms swung around the other way, and I stopped digesting food at all. I'd have a lump of food in the transverse colon for days, and the pain and swelling was unbearable. Eventually, I would get frustrated and drink a pot of black coffee so I could go to the bathroom, which ended up being just as runny and bloody as before. I've been waiting a year for my insurance to kick in at work. Now I'm waiting for approval on my referral to a specialist. I am afraid my poverty is going to cause colon cancer..

The symptoms I experienced for ulcerative colitis were bloody diarrhea, severe abdominal pain and weight loss. My doc said the UC is not that bad in me but it could get worse if I don't follow a healthy diet and take dairy products. He said that is the only key in UC to follow the diet given by the doctor and medicine plays a little role, it just makes your symptoms a little better for some time but after that it depends just on your diet..