Ulcerative Colitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ulcerative Colitis.
For ulcerative colitis, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

I hope this is helpful to someone. I suffered from ulcerative colitis from 1975 to 1987. In 1975, at the age of 12, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis after experiencing symptoms of bloody stools. I was prescribed Azulfidine which seemed to help the problem for the first two years. In 1977, the symptoms worsened to bloody diarrhea. At this point, I was prescribed prednisone. That would initially help, but when I would begin to taper down the dosage, several months later I would get a relapse. Like clockwork, every summer I would get a relapse, and then go on prednisone until the next spring. This continued until 1986, when I got tired of prednisone and its side effects. I decided to see a nutritionist. After several tests, he prescribed a diet, a regime of vitamins (some of which I was already taking), and the supplement Twinlab Fibersol. You can find this product in most vitamin stores. I never changed my diet, I continued with the same vitamins, but several months after starting the Fibersol, I noticed positive results. I started taking the Fibersol February of 1987, the same time I was tapering off on the prednisone. I did not get a flare-up that following summer. Maybe it is a coincidence, I don’t think so, but I have not had a flare-up since. Now, over 29 years later, and no flare-ups since 1986, I am still doing well at the age of 53. I still get periodic colonoscopies to make sure all is well..

I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in 1994, when I went to the emergency room for rectal bleeding. For years, I was not in a financial position to get treatment. I tried raw foods, going vegan for a while, and it kept symptoms to a minimum for a few years. Then two years ago, I started having diarrhea with mucus and sometimes blood several times a day. Every meal ended with an emergency trip to the bathroom. Then my symptoms swung around the other way, and I stopped digesting food at all. I'd have a lump of food in the transverse colon for days, and the pain and swelling was unbearable. Eventually, I would get frustrated and drink a pot of black coffee so I could go to the bathroom, which ended up being just as runny and bloody as before. I've been waiting a year for my insurance to kick in at work. Now I'm waiting for approval on my referral to a specialist. I am afraid my poverty is going to cause colon cancer..