Panic Attack - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Panic Attacks.
What are your panic attack symptoms?

I have been suffering from panic attacks since 2002 and they have been intense for the last 3 years. I had one around Christmas in 09 and I was dancing and a few minutes later I thought I was going to die. I couldn't breathe it was the most horrifying experience that I have ever had. I believe my attacks started because I lost some loved ones, had an abusive relationship, became promiscuous, and was molested and raped as a child. Today I still have them but I am able to talk myself through them by telling myself I will be okay and so far it has worked but what bothers me is when I have them I am asleep and awakening by one it takes me a few minutes but I manage to calm myself. I am able to talk to others about my condition and its has been helpful, but I really need to talk to a licensed professional so that I can learn better coping skills then eliminate the negative self doubt and replace with positive affirmations that will last a lifetime. I hope that my ideas and concerns will help others to see that it's ok to talk about subjects you normally wouldn't and entrust in friends and family to help you through..

I started severe panic attacks at my past job. My boss was a bully, and my co-workers teased me about my Tourette's syndrome. I felt like I was having a heart attack. My heart was palpitating. I felt like there was a belt around my chest and someone was tightening it so I could not breathe. My hand and arm were shaking. I left work one day and just cried in my car for a while before I even tried to drive home. I then cried the whole way home. I went to see my doctor and he said it was not worth it to work there. They had already cut my hours to part-time and taken away my insurance benefits. I rested for several months, though I’m still having attacks whenever I thought about the job. I also am plagued with nightmares. I tried to work another job and only lasted 6 days before having a breakdown. The manager at the new job said that I am unemployable! .