Cirrhosis of the Liver - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis.
What treatment has been effective for your cirrhosis?

Published: April 26

I would like to say is I'm feeling all of the hurt from all of you here, I have spent many hours reading. I myself just got diagnosed with chronic liver disease stage 4 and I felt pretty much hopeless and of course feeling I was destined to meet my maker before time. But in all honesty I have never been one to back down and I'm here to let you all know chronic liver disease can be maintained and beaten. I got a second opinion from another doctor. He was trying a different medication on me for depression, and after 2 months of being on lithium carbonate my LFT (liver function test) count has halved. I believe lithium plays a big part for me but please consult your doctor as I am not qualified in this area. I also take Centavite vitamins along with Betamin. I am also finding milk thistle really good as most people are aware the liver has an amazing ability to repair itself. I was told by my doctor my blood test results are looking much better. I have also got in touch with a dietician and she has told me basically to get as many carbohydrates in as possible. My first doctor advised me different. Normal milk is ok, soya is best and 3 tetra packs of Endure, heaps of vegetable blanched, and of course if you are drinking, abstain. I gave up. It is all about exercise and right diet. I bought myself a little Jack Russell and now walking 2 times with her..

I am 18 years old. A month and a half before I was getting ready to graduate my mama was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver. She's an alcoholic and her daily drinking was the cause of it. Her skin was yellow, the whites of her eyes were olive green, and she looked 9 months pregnant. She was given the expectation to live a month. She has 3 kids, me, a 12 year old, and a 6 year old. In a fight to live she stayed 5 days in the hospital in detox. She then went to rehabilitation for a month and a half. She got out 3 days before me graduation. She's now out and has been sober for a little over 3 months. When she reaches 6 months of sobriety she'll then be on a liver transplant list. Her skin, eye color, and belly has returned to normal. I'm lucky to have her. She's a living miracle at this point. The doctors are amazed at her health. We continue to hope for not only her health but her strength and sobriety because one more sip will kill her. This disease is curable. The patient must be willing to fight for their life!.