Cirrhosis of the Liver - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis.
What treatment has been effective for your cirrhosis?

I’m 46 years old and I have been drinking since I was in my teens. I started drinking more after joining the army. I slowed down a little by my mid to late thirties, but by now, my kids are grown. My drinking has really stepped up and I suddenly started having swelling in my knees and feet. The doctor said that I have gout. After a battery of tests, I found out that it wasn’t gout, but that my liver is enlarged. Now I’m starting to pass blood in my stool. What have I done to myself and what will my kids think of me? I will see a specialist soon, but I hold little hope. I hope this can open someone’s eyes..

I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of liver five years ago. Alcohol abuse was the cause. I was hospitalized for a month. I stopped drinking. I was considered an end-stage alcoholic. I began walking every day, restricted salt drastically, low fat and very little red meat diet. I currently am on no meds. My liver is damaged, but stable. Go every six months for ultrasounds. You need to monitor yourself every day for health. You can be healthy again!.