Mononucleosis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mononucleosis.
What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis?

Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with mononucleosis in August of 2015 at 29 years of age. I had a severe case where I was hospitalized for 6 days with pneumonia caused by the virus. I was really sick for about six weeks; after which I began to recover. It was a long process and I haven't felt 100 percent since. Here we are six months later and I am now having a lot of the same symptoms that I had with the initial outbreak but I don't have a fever. I have abdominal pain, foggy brain, chronic fatigue, an upset stomach, headaches, and muscle weakness and muscle spasms. My doctor said that I could have symptoms for up to a few years after the initial infection. I have been to the doctor and the emergency room and all of my blood work looks fine. It started with a cold about four weeks ago. I have been out of it ever since. I find it difficult to focus and think, and I feel like I am stoned all of the time. If this is because of mono, I wonder if there is any light at the end of the tunnel and if I will ever feel normal again..

I was not feeling well for three months, shortly after my college semester ended. I kept on going to the doctors, they all said everything is clear. I went to the emergency room on Sunday, it was the same as what my doctors said. Tuesday I went to my doctor, got tested for mononucleosis and found out today that I had mono, but now it is an old infection. It is a relief that it is no longer active, now I just need to get back on track..