Tinnitus - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears).
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your tinnitus?

Published: December 01

I had tinnitus that was loud enough to make listening to TV or radio, or sleeping difficult. I would ask my husband if he couldn't hear that sound! The next level was, one ear, usually my right, would go silent (deaf) and it seemed as if the sound traveled around from my right ear to the left ear. When the sound hit my left ear I would be so dizzy I would have to crawl. Then I would be nauseous. Lying in bed I felt like I had to hold on to bed so as not to be slung off. My ear specialist diagnosed Meniere's disease and prescribed a diuretic and low sodium diet. That helped and I began to see a pattern between certain foods and my symptoms. I found that beef was my worst enemy. The second enemy was too much sound. I now have the ear plugs that musicians wear to reduce sound. I wear them to concerts, noisy restaurants, etc. That was over 15 years ago. My symptoms are now manageable. I seldom have a 'fall- down dizziness'. When I do I can take Travel-Eze, a motion sickness medication. Hope this might help someone else..

Hi to you all! My first experience of tinnitus was over 5 years ago, when I awoke one morning to what I thought was the alarm going off in my right ear. I was struggling to find the ‘off’ switch when I realized that this noise was in my head. It was a very scary moment and the start of a journey. After many sleepless nights, dreading going to bed and fruitless trips to the hospital, doctors only told me that I did have hearing loss in my right ear due to working my whole life working in an extremely noisy environment. Then they tell me there was nothing they could do about the tinnitus apart from masking the noise or drugs to help me relax. BUT! I feel once you accept that it is not going to be cured you can move forward. I tried everything at the beginning and was avidly reading of herbal drugs which reduced noise all to no avail and every time I became more depressed. I then made a conscious decision to accept that I cannot cure this and must adapt and live with it. I feel that once you make that decision you will feel better. I do not let tinnitus get in the way and I now do not think about it. I do hope my short story will help you there is a light at the end of the tunnel best wishes to you all -Rob .