Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis) - Surgery Recovery

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diverticulitis (Diverticulosis).
Please describe your recovery after surgery for diverticulitis.

Published: April 16

My recovery from diverticulitis was slow and painful. I was septic and dying by the time they removed my colon. I also had to wear a colostomy bag and the abdominal wound became very infected and had to be packed with gauze strips 2 times a day for over 3 months. I got stronger as time passed (about 5 months) and just about the time I was feeling pretty well, I went back to have the colostomy bag removed and my bowels reconnected. My recovery time was a lot less that time because I wasn't septic. I just have never been the same since that illness. I have weakness, fatigue, and depression. Doctors say it is unusual for one to feel the way I do and think it is in my head. It may be..

It started with severe stabbing pain on my left side of my abdomen. After a few days it went away. About a month later I again felt a severe stabbing pain on the left side. It did not go away and I ended up going to the emergency room (ER) since it was the middle of the night. They gave me a CT scan and took a blood test for infection. I was put on 2 small bags of antibiotics through an IV. I laid in ER for 6 hours. I was given two antibiotics to take from the next day. One of them made me vomit and I called in for advice. They prescribed anti-nausea pills which worked like a charm. I continued to take the antibiotics for 14 days. During the CT scan they found a small lesion on my pancreas and so I went in for an MRI. I ate soft foods and a low fiber diet. Now I have to be on a high fiber diet. I also developed oral thrush and had to get lozenges to take five times a day. Oral thrush is a white coating on the tongue and is hard to get rid of. I am also taking probiotics to restore my healthy bacteria which were all killed with the antibiotics. Thankfully my MRI showed my pancreas to be okay. I now have to have a colonoscopy the next month. I am advised not to eat any fruit and vegetables with seeds, nuts, popcorn, sesame seeds and especially sunflower seeds. Taking acidophilus capsules daily..