Brain Cancer - Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brain Cancer.
What is the prognosis for your brain cancer?

I am a 54 year-old female. I have been in excellent health my whole life. A few years ago I lost my sense of smell. When I was 52 I lost 75% of my vision in two months. I was told I needed glasses but was misdiagnosed. A doctor gave me an MRI and it revealed a giant (7cm) meningioma brain tumor that was stretching my optic nerves out and encasing my carotid arteries. I was told by a neurosurgeon that if I did not have surgery immediately I would be blind and crippled within six months. I had surgery and got my sight back and I was not crippled. My tumor was benign. I am very lucky to have had such excellent doctors. Please, please if any of you are having loss of smell or vision go get an MRI. I am very lucky I did not drop dead..

In Sept 1998 I was diagnosed with a malignant tumor in my right temporal lobe. I received many devastating prognoses. Some docs said 6 months, some 1 year. After surgery, the radiologist called it an anaplastic astrocytoma and the surgeon said I had 8-10 years to live. Shortly after that, the Cancer Institute in my area disagreed and called it a glioblastoma multiforme, and considering that I was 35 and in otherwise excellent health, gave me a 2-4 year prognosis. I then did radiation and chemotherapy. In September 2012 it will be 14 years without a recurrence..