Appendicitis - Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Appendicitis.
Did you experience any complications with your appendicitis?

I was on the verge of turning 16 and at summer band camp. It was hot, we had cold-cut sandwiches at lunch and I thought I had a bad one as my pain doubled me over and a case of the chills set in. I had a similar set of pains some weeks before but they lasted a few minutes and everything seemed fine after that. At band camp they put me in the first aid trailer to rest and see if any improvement would occur. It didn't. The pain was in the lower right abdomen and felt like someone had just stabbed me with a knife. They eventually took me to a small clinic in town where the doctor diagnosed appendicitis but the nearest hospital was 60 miles away and at that time no Medivac helicopter service existed except military. My parents were called to meet us from the camp half way. We made it to the hospital emergency room to end up waiting. Finally I started to feel much better and wanted to leave. My dad left in a panic and dragged the nearest doctor back with him. They set up for the next surgery suite but I was also dehydrated and that condition had to be fixed. Long story short, the appendix ruptured, peritonitis set in and a solid week of touch and go after being unconscious for three days (I'm told). A hospital stay of 3 weeks and a loss of 25 pounds later, I get to go home. .

Your website helped. I read problems people were having related to appendicitis and complications. I recently had similar pains in my right abdomen, and flu-like symptoms, but no nausea. I thought I had a stomach virus. I read more about appendicitis on the internet and decided to go to the ER where I was admitted for emergency surgery. Thanks for doing what you do..