Hives - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema.
Please describe your experience with hives.

I was either stung or bitten on top my right hand while wearing yardwork gloves. It was about 88 degrees outside. I removed the glove but couldn't find what caused the sting or bite. It hurt like a wasp bite. My hand started swelling. By the time I got to my house my palms were itching, next my elbows, my bra area, back, scalp, the back of my knees, my vaginal area, my rectum, the top of both feet. It was maddening. It was like having an instant yeast infection in my vaginal area, rectum and my tongue turned white with coating. My eyelids swelled and the white of my eyes turned pink. I showered, and it made the hives worse. I filled the tub with cold water, a quart of white vinegar and a box of baking soda. The itching was unbearable. The welts were everywhere but on my face. But my nose and chin were really red. I took a Benadryl that was about 10 years old out of desperation. About 55 minutes after the sting, I drove myself to an urgent care office. I was given a shot of prednisone, a prescription of prednisone and a prescription for hydroxide for the itching. The medicines helped immediately. Most of the welts and swelling are gone now, approximately 40 hours later. If this should happen again, I will skip the shower, bath and find someone to drive me to the urgent care because I really was light headed and I shouldn't have been driving. I have had my share of yeast infections and poison ivy infections but this itching from the sting or bite was worse than anything I've ever experienced..

Published: June 23

I assume it is hives. For years, 10 or more, I get what I thought was a bug bite or multiple bug bites at the top of my leg/hip area. Severe itching to the point I break the skin and it is a raw mess. This happens once or twice every summer and I wake up with it. When it occurs I would freak out about what bug is in my bed and strip everything from the bed and wash it in hot water. I have mattress pads that encase the entire mattress. Since it happens in the summer it must be heat. I don't walk around in short shorts or any shorts for that matter. I don't have a tolerance for hot weather or extreme exercise. I think it is odd that it is very limited in frequency. I have never mentioned it to my doctor..