Hives - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hives and Angioedema.
Please describe your experience with hives.

I started getting hives when I moved to a different area where well water is provided. The area I was born does not use well water. I've had them really bad since 2008 after taking some medication for a urinary infection I had, and they have just gotten worse and worse. I don't like taking pills, and I am suppose to take fexofenadine everyday or twice a day, but I only take it every other day or if it's really bad I will take it once a day every day until they subside. It's horrible and I am just waiting for it to go away, I feel disabled and it makes me feel unattractive and I have always been fairly good looking, but with these hives its just awful. I will pray for anyone who suffers from this almost debilitating thing. .

I am experiencing my third bout of hives. The first time was in 1980. I was traveling on an extended vacation. Mount St Helen erupted and I was covered in hives within two to three days. They lasted for about a year. The second episode occurred after we had Hurricane Isabel. They were extremely severe, scratching until my body was covered with scabs secondary to bleeding from digging to control the itching. I went on multiple medications including prednisone, which caused problems with my diabetes. I took Ranitidine to knock them out. Then, approximately six weeks ago, within 30 miles from our home, we had tornado come through. Suddenly I am covered in hives. They are head to toe. The itching is most intense on my shoulders and trunk of body plus the ankles. I have been on Ranitidine for maintenance since then. .