Kidney Stones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones.
For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: April 12

I had my first kidney stone 19 months ago at age 54. The pain bolted me upright in the bed and I had pelvic floor pain similar to the bearing down of childbirth with intense bladder urgency. The pain was in my left back and started radiating down my side at which point I had uncontrollable shakes and chills and then sudden violent vomiting. I had no idea what was going on but thought I might die. I have had natural childbirth to one of my four children and this was worse. I had to be treated for an infection (wonder if this caused the stone to pass). Six months passed and I had another. Then almost a year later they began again. I finally went to the emergency room when two came just 19 days apart. They confirmed that I had one passing unobstructed through the left ureter and another in my right kidney. Since then I've had 3 more episodes in the past 10 days. I believe the stone they saw in the emergency room is lodged in the ureter. I am finally making an appointment with a urologist as I can't take the pain any longer..

Published: June 05

I have been experiencing kidney pain for two weeks now. A trip to the emergency room and I was told I have a kidney stone, after a CT scan. The doctor said the stone should not be causing the level of pain that I'm experiencing as I have no other symptoms except nausea. It's also hard and painful to sleep on the affected side I am not sure why. I was not given any advice when I was discharged from hospital so am in the dark as to how long I need to put up with the pain. It’s time for a second opinion..