Kidney Stones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones.
For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

I am currI am currently experiencing my first kidney stone. The pain began two weeks ago as a "nagging" twinge, similar to a UTI. Within a day, the pain was sharp, moving from my right back around to my lower right groin. As others have said, it felt like a thin, sharp blade or a knitting needles being stabbed and twisted. The pain would last about 10-20 minutes, and then subside to a dull ache before returning. I went to the ER, had a CT scan, and received the official diagnosis of a 3.3 mm stone with a "this will probably pass in 3 days or less" hint (oh, I hoped they were right!). I was given fluids and Toradol, which helped immensely, with oral pain medication for home. I have been drinking 3 quarts of clear fluids a day. Unfortunately, 2 days ago, the pain returned again at the front (sharp, stabbing) with dull, constant aching back up to my kidney. I returned to the ER (more fluids and pain medications) and with ultrasound, found that the stone is lodged at the entrance to the bladder, causing some "backup" of urine to the kidney. I am seeing a urologist, but still hoping fervently that the fluids will help the stone pass on its own. Pain levels are very similar to labor (I had no pain meds) during transition--about an 8 or 9 on 10 pt. scale, but they are intermittent for the most part. I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone!.

Published: December 17

I had no warning signs, I just turned from cooking breakfast and told my Husband I had a painful spasm in my back on the left and then I fell to the floor in agonizing pain. We happened to call an ER doctor who was a friend and she told us if it doesn't stop soon to go to the ER. So my husband helped me to the car and off we went. There was blood taken and a CT scan and thankfully they finally gave me pain meds! So after all was done and I was released we went to the health food store and got something called "Stone breaker.” It broke my stones into smaller pieces and I was able to pass them the next morning easily. They said to keep taking it to help break the others down. It works wonders. I thought there was nothing that would help. So I hope this helps someone else out!.