Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia.
What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?

I have had painful attacks on the left side of my chest since I was 8 years old. I am now 46 years old. It hurts to take a deep breath when these attacks occur and the pain radiates around to my back. They happened with more frequency when I was young but were not as painful or long as they are now. Usually I need to lie down for a while before they go away. I have been treated for ulcers in my 20s, and had pneumonia in my early 30s but was never diagnosed with a hiatal hernia until 8 1/2 years ago when the pain lasted for over 15 hours. I am on heartburn medicine but every once in a while I still have an attack. As I am writing this I have been dealing with the pain for over 7 hours hoping it will go away so I can go watch the football game tonight! Whenever I have broached the pain with doctors I always get the brush off. They tell me the hiatal hernia couldn't be causing the pain..

I have had all kinds of scans and x-rays and found to have a very large hiatal hernia. It has pushed my stomach up over my diaphragm. It leaves me breathless if I walk very far or do too much standing (like preparing food). Doctor says it is too dangerous to do surgery unless I start to have pain, then to call immediately and I will have to have surgery..