Hiatal Hernia - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia.
What are your hiatal hernia symptoms?

I have had a hiatal hernia for over 15 years. Nexium helped, but the insurance stopped paying for it. I am on pantoprazole. It helps some. I ended up in the hospital 2 weeks ago with terrific pain. I thought that I was having a heart attack. I had blood work and EKG, which were ok. I had a cardiac catheter and it came back ok. So it had to be acid reflux. I had pneumonia a couple of years ago, due to GERD. I have asthma now. I also sleep on my left side. I have a Tempur-Pedic bed, and keep my head up. Nothing much helps. Yogurt helps some. The doctor wants me to have surgery, but said there are risks..

I discovered I had a hiatal hernia, over a year ago. I've always had digestive problems and sometimes I would bloat up so much I couldn't breathe. I take acid reflux medicines and lots of Gas-X. Sometimes I feel like my heart is skipping beats because I'm so bloated! If I lift anything heavy, the next day my back and the side of my ribs hurt and I can hardly breathe. I'm a care giver and I think it's causing me a lot of stress. I feel so depressed..