Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
What are your irritable bowel syndrome symptoms?

When I was 58 I started having 5-6 bouts of diarrhea a day. No Pain, just diarrhea. I am now 74 and it is still the same. So far, all a doctor says is, "Oh you have IBS". I guess they just don't care. One did say it is probably caused by an infection in the bowels, but didn't do anything about it. Anything I eat or drink sets it off..

Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with gastroenteritis when I was 19. Thereafter I had a 4 year long stressful/anxious period during which the symptoms of IBS stared to show. I wasn't even aware that I had IBS. But irregular bowel habits had begun and I thought that they would just go away someday. After 6 years of these symptoms I finally visited a doctor and he diagnosed me with IBS. Allopathic medicines like Lomotil do help. I take them before traveling or when I am having an 'attack', but I am not a believer in long term allopathic treamtment since there are lot of side effects. I have found that walking regularly helps. Currently I am taking homeopathic treatment and it is helpful to a large extent. IBS puts a lot of fear of traveling. Whenever I go to any unknown location the first thing I want make sure is that there is access to a toilet. That really sucks. But my condition has improved in the last couple of years. I am into year 8 of this condition now but I am hoping that things will get better..