Atrial Fibrillation - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Fibrillation (AFib).
What are your atrial fibrillation symptoms?

Published: March 19

My 83 year old mother was recently diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. I am quite concerned that this was missed by 2 cardiologists, including her general physician. Her blood pressure (BP) was suddenly elevated, over 140 for 2 weeks. Multiple changes of cardiac medications were made. She had LE (lower extremity) edema, cellulitis, orthostatic BP. We were told atrial fibrillation occurred because she was dehydrated. Very upset as I know she is on Coumadin plus other new cardiac medicines. She also has a history of thyroid problems. My mother refuses to have a second opinion with other doctors. Watch symptoms carefully in the elderly..

I was 66 and have had hypertension since I was about 45. I am seriously overweight and have been for my whole life. I was seeing my doctor for my annual checkup and had an atrial fibrillation event while she was checking my heart. I had absolutely no symptoms. She sent me to a cardiologist who put me on a monitor for a month to determine the frequency of my episodes and if I had any symptoms. I had additional atrial fibrillation episodes and every time without a single symptom. I have been on warfarin and metoprolol for 5 years along with my other hypertension drugs. I self-test for my INR number and check in with a clinic for monitoring. I have been living a full life and enjoying international travel. I feel very lucky and so grateful that I was diagnosed and have a much better shot at a longer healthier life..