Bipolar Disorder (Mania) - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bipolar Disorder.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your bipolar disorder (mania)?

Wow, this website in incredible! The information I've learned. I just never took the time before to know much about my disease, but after abandoning my meds how MANY times over the years until finally being at an age where I can see that the main constant in all the pains I've been thru is ME - that of ME and all of MY Mania and Depression and how it has affected not only myself, but also as importantly, my FAMILY, loved ones, friends, co-workers, clients,... the list could go on and on and that doesn't make me feel good. After spending nearly two hours reading the detailed information this site has given (THANK YOU!), I plan to call my doctor tomorrow to get back ON my meds. I wish ALL BD sufferers and their caregivers the very best. Hang in there..

I got sick in 1996, it was a harrowing experience. I always took whatever the doctor prescribed to me, and if I didn't like them I told him about it. I've had long periods of being well, but I changed medications recently and had a manic episode the likes of which I've never experienced before. I was hospitalized for 6 weeks. I am on lithium now, which is better than Seroquel, which made me very sedated. So many times I was late for work because I just couldn't wake up. Lucky they are very understanding. I've been in that job for 14 years and they've been so good to me, I don't know what I would have done without them. Going back to work is the best thing for cheering you up. These days I am so moody and angry and I get so distressed by the slightest amount of stress. I continue to attend my psychiatrist, go to the day program for therapy. The periods of depression are unbearable. Being manic is scary. I just want to be happy and peaceful and productive..