Genital Herpes - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Genital Herpes.
What symptoms and signs did you experience with genital herpes?

I found out I had HSV2 about five years ago. The frequency of my outbreaks has declined somewhat. The pain has also decreased, however I still get inflamed lymph nodes prior to and during the early stages of an outbreak. I, too, get sensations in my leg, usually referred to as tingling, except that my skin gets quite sore to touch or sit on for a day or two. The prodrome (the sensations before the outbreak) is usually on my thigh, and it moves around a bit. I suppose it sort of tingles, but my skin is more painful than anything else. I was so ashamed when I first found out I had it, and disgusted with myself, but, hey, I'm human. I'm an intelligent and educated woman. This could happen to anyone, including you..

After I got my first outbreak, I started getting them almost every time I got my menstrual period, which was horrible. I am not taking valacyclovir every day for suppressive therapy. I have not had an outbreak for almost two years now, so I definitely feel like it’s working for me. I am grateful the antivirals are available, but they can be hard on your kidneys and liver..