Depression - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Depression.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your depression?

I have suffered severe depression, anxiety, panic disorder, and insomnia for many years. I’ve tried Cymbalta, Paxil, and Effexor. Recently, my doctor prescribed Prozac, Ambien, Abilify, and Xanax. This combo seems to work well, although I still have severe insomnia. I’m hoping he can suggest something in combination with the Ambien or increase the dosage; otherwise, the symptoms have dramatically decreased for me..

I am 21 years old and genetically predisposed to clinical depression/major depressive disorder. All my life, I've suffered from it, but the symptoms became more obvious when I was 13. It was then when I was diagnosed. I was prescribed Prozac, but I did not take it as my mother was concerned about its side effects. A few years later, I visited another therapist who prescribed me an SSRI called Cipralex. It did not suit me at all. I gained a lot of weight, felt anxious and groggy all day long, had disturbed sleeping patterns and lost a lot of hair. Last year, I began treatment with another therapist who prescribed me one of the milder SSRIs called Cipram and advised me to exercise for at least half an hour daily. I take half a tablet every evening after supper. It has helped immensely and suits me well. I used to cry for hours every day, but now I don't even remember the last time I did! As far as the side effects are concerned, I am only prone to occasional mild headaches, decreased appetite (but not so much) and drowsiness at night after I've taken the dose. I hate to admit that I don't exercise at all these days, but when I used to, I felt a rapid improvement in my life. I intend to start exercising once again. I must mention that my two best friends and my boyfriend have provided me with unconditional emotional support, which is virtually half the treatment. For all those in the same boat as me who are reading this, my therapist said, "Fake it until you make it." As weird as it may sound, it actually does help! I wish each and every one of you the best of luck with your treatments. If I can “make it,” so can you..