Brown Recluse Spider Bite - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Brown Recluse Spider Bite.
What symptoms did you experience with your brown recluse spider bite?

Published: June 12

At first it itched severely the swelled within 2 hours within 4 hours i had to cut rings off within severe pain, nausea, and vomiting for 4 hours. Venom made my skin open in severe pain shortness of breath rushed to hospital and had a redline from wrist to elbow with hand and arm swelling 3 x its size. I literally passed out from pain 5 and had to have antibiotic. I was in the hospital for 8 days and had iv s for 8 days , wound was sewed open to drain venom. Today 5 months later cannot use my right hand or straighten ring finger and have no insurance to have any therapy, and the visual signs of venom are still present. My joint is very swollen and I have nerve damage..

Published: April 07

I have been bitten twice by brown recluse spiders here in Texas. Neither time did I notice the bite as anything usual until tissue necrosis set in. It could have been a mosquito or ant bite for the first few hours – I never had any significant pain. The first time was on my arm, and I swelled up in my face to the point my left eye swelled closed. The swelling was more on the same side of the bite. I was treated at the emergency room for an allergic reaction with a Benadryl injection. The swelling and ill feeling cleared up. Later, I got the classic black sore ringed by red. It never hurt even though multiple layers of skin dried up, decayed, and fell off. I kept it covered and doused with antibiotic ointment. I could easily see the layer of fat underneath the skin when it was at its deepest. It took a while to heal, but left no scar. My skin loss area was never bigger than a 50-cent piece. The next time I got bit was on my nose. My reaction was about the same, but the skin loss was only the size of a nickel. My doctor said I would need a skin graft, but my nose healed with only a minor divot that I don't think is very noticeable. It healed much faster on my nose than it did on my arm. So, in my case the bites were not so bad..