Hip Pain - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hip Pain.
What was the cause of your hip pain?

I am a very keen golfer and play regularly. My coach was trying to get me to turn more on the follow through, and this involves greater hip rotation than my previous swing. I was enjoying the new movement and greater power but after practice my hip joint felt 'stretched' and slightly painful. It felt as though a ligament or muscle has been damaged. I went to my local hip specialist and he did an MRI and concluded that the pain was from early stages of arthritis in the labrum area. I was not convinced because the hip is only painful with certain movements, and often has no pain at all for several days. It seems more like soft tissue inflammation to me..

Published: March 05

I haven't been diagnosed yet but am pretty sure my hip pain is caused by osteoarthritis. I've had gout off and on since I was 21, and I'm 65 now. It hurts when I lay in bed on my right side, when I sit, and less standing. The pain just started this year..