Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Gastritis.
Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Published: March 15

I have had severe stomach and chest pain that wakes me up at night, even when I sleep propped up and have eaten very little during the day. These episodes last for hours, with nausea and sometimes vomiting, and though I down antacid pills with a liquid antacid, it takes a while for them to help so the pain goes from intolerable to being able to doze. The next day, it continues with pain when I walk, bend down, or eat. Triggers for me are coffee, wine, and Motrin, and wearing a bra that is too tight! I have avoided spicy and fatty foods for years. My stomach sounds like a chemistry set, with gurgles and dripping sounds, and I lam bloated and look about 4 months pregnant. I am hopeful that a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) prescribed by my physician will help. I avoid triggers, and keep walking or moving; it helps psychologically!.

I get regular flare ups of gastritis, usually caused by alcohol, coffee or sometimes medications. I start to vomit uncontrollably for 24/48 hours. I get burning, gnawing pain in upper stomach and into back. I take Nexium (esomeprazole) every day, twice a day with flare up and anti-nausea meds. I seem to get a really bad flare up at least every month, but mild flares week to week. This makes me so miserable, as after a bad attack it can take me a week to recover..