Dental Abscess - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Dental Abscess.
What was the treatment for your dental abscess?

Upper Molar had large filling. Filling cracked and had root canal done. Dentist warned of possible problems as the nerves were dead and pus was in the tooth canals. Was sent home with antibiotics and to wait and see prior to completing crown work. Within under 2 weeks developed pain in jaw, ear area, and along tooth site. Went for an x-ray and dentist say large pus ball. She describes my roots as 2 that were straight and one that had a curve in it. The curved root was difficult to do the root canal. This was the root with the pus ball which reached up into my sinuses. Sent home with stronger antibiotics and pain killers to return on day 7 of the treatment for extraction. I wanted to save this tooth, but cannot. I believe the dentist tried all available treatments to save it. Currently on the treatment prior to extraction..

I had four fillings replaced 3 weeks ago. They weren't causing any grief but it was suggested that I have them replaced. Now I have an abscess. I am on antibiotics and I’m awaiting a root canal to be followed with a crown -- not to mention the excruciating pain it has caused. I’ve experience loss of sleep and this added expense! I am not impressed. My advice is: "If it's not broken, don't fix it.".