Hepatitis A - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis A (HAV, Hep A).
What were the symptoms of your hepatitis A?

Following a retreat to Mexico in a facility without electricity, potable water and poor sanitation system, I developed hepatitis A from contaminated food and water. Although I drank only bottled water, dishes were washed in non-potable water and fruits and vegetables washed in same water. At first I suffered from diarrhea which subsided but reoccurred every few days after I returned home. I was extremely tired and the area under my ribs in front and back were tender (my liver). My stool turned light colored and my urine dark. I lost my appetite. It lasted approximately 90 days. My liver enzymes were extremely high. To recover, no alcohol, no medicines processed through liver, and no fatty foods. I took milk thistle and vitamin B supplement; and rest..

Published: June 05

I have had Hepatitis A (though the first time they called it "Yellow Jaundice") twice. Neither time did anyone else in the house get infected. The first time I was 13 yrs old and since that was in March 1953 water would probably have been a problem. I was not treated other than told I couldn't eat anything containing fats or eggs. I was allowed to eat dry toast (Melba toast), boiled fish, and a bit of jam on my toast. My 10 yr old cousin in a rural area had it at almost the same time, and she was not treated and she could eat whatever she wanted. Hers didn't last as long, mine lasted a month. We both had to drink lots of water. The second time was when I was 30 yrs old (Feb. 1971). I had no treatment other than drinking lots of water, and I was sick for a month. Both times the symptoms vomiting, pain around the liver, dark yellow skin and eyes, pale diarrhea, and very itchy skin (particularly when I was 30)..