Hepatitis A - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis A (HAV, Hep A).
What were the symptoms of your hepatitis A?

Published: June 05

I have had Hepatitis A (though the first time they called it "Yellow Jaundice") twice. Neither time did anyone else in the house get infected. The first time I was 13 yrs old and since that was in March 1953 water would probably have been a problem. I was not treated other than told I couldn't eat anything containing fats or eggs. I was allowed to eat dry toast (Melba toast), boiled fish, and a bit of jam on my toast. My 10 yr old cousin in a rural area had it at almost the same time, and she was not treated and she could eat whatever she wanted. Hers didn't last as long, mine lasted a month. We both had to drink lots of water. The second time was when I was 30 yrs old (Feb. 1971). I had no treatment other than drinking lots of water, and I was sick for a month. Both times the symptoms vomiting, pain around the liver, dark yellow skin and eyes, pale diarrhea, and very itchy skin (particularly when I was 30)..

I suffered 48 hours of continuous diarrhea and vomiting before I got to see a doctor, now a week since diagnosis and I have suffered a myriad of symptoms from extreme fatigue, joint aches and cramps, constipation, loss of appetite, insomnia, itchy skin which has resulted in a nasty rash and dark urine. I would not wish this on anyone, please be sure to wash those hands..