Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

Published: April 17

I'd like to share with you my personal experience with hemorrhoids and pain caused by them. I suffered a lot since I was I child and a couple of years ago I decided to get in touch with THD (transanal hemorrhoidal dearterialization) /HALO (hemorrhoidal artery ligation operation) surgery that solved my problems and gave me the opportunity of a normal life..

Published: March 31

If I can help people with this excruciating pain then I will definitely share my experience. I've had hemorrhoids all my life but they were never a problem and only mildly flared up. They always went away on their own. About 2 years ago I had a more sever case where I was surprised to see how painful they were and how I wasn't able to sit down. Again, they seemed to go off on their own. I did use suppositories to help calm them down. About 4 weeks ago I had the worst case of flared up hemorrhoids I've ever experienced. I got a mild form but then one day I went to exercise and, goodness, did that exacerbate my situation! I couldn't sit down, I had this excruciating pain, and I was scared to have a bowel movement. I called the doctor and made an appointment for the following Tuesday for surgery. But I started to read online about surgery and the awful after-effects. I proceeded to do all I could naturally. I ate a high fiber diet, vegetables, salads, etc. I have a juice and made most of my vegetable/fruit supplements into smoothies or liquids which is what you want to do. I did not eat any carbohydrates/bread. I drank plenty of water. It says to take Metamucil or Citrucel but these add bulk to stool. I chose to take Fiber Smart which has soluble plus insoluble fiber in it. This is better because I don't want my stools formed. I also used lidocaine, hemorrhoid cream, suppositories, and hydrocortisone. I sat in a hot sitz bath after every bowel movement in the morning and every evening. I also used Tucks and the like because the witch hazel is an astringent for hemorrhoids. I made a concoction of smashed aspirin (4 baby tablets) mixed with lidocaine and put that onto my Tucks and tucked it in there. It seemed to calm it down. Finally, I also switched up my aspirin/Tucks mix with AVC (apple cider vinegar). AVC is great for hemorrhoids although it might sting a bit. You can dilute it with water or apply it straight. Use a cotton ball and place it on the area. I pour the ACV onto my Tucks pad and place it in there. Remember to try and follow a liquid diet as much as possible because those bowel movements put me into tears! I hope this regimen works for others as well. I am feeling so much better now..