Hemorrhoids - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hemorrhoids.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hemorrhoids?

I'm 27 years old and am a fairly healthy guy. I've had hemorrhoids on and off for about seven years. I got my first thrombosed hemorrhoid this year. I got IRC (infrared coagulation) twice, and I still have problems. Doctors just say eat high fiber and drink lots of water, but it doesn't seem to help. I fast (go long periods without eating at all) as a result. Now, I fast fairly regularly and have lost 35 pounds in the last three months. Now I have "thrombosed hemorrhoid No. 2," and I'm just exhausted, both physically and mentally at the intense pain I feel every day. The few things that work for me are: --Over-the-counter Preparation H suppositories (usually too painful to insert though) --Lidocaine (seems to numb a little bit) --Not eating (gives the whole mess down there time to figure out what it wants to do and heal) I learned the hard way that sleeping pills and oxycontin are no good. Taking narcotics for pain is a terrible idea, and please don't do it. It will 100% cause constipation, which in turn will cause more pain, which sucks. So, in short, don't be afraid to fast, and don't take narcotics for the pain. It will hurt you so much more, and you will hate yourself for sabotaging yourself in the healing process..

Go buy Desitin or the store brand containing 40% zinc oxide! Last night, I used some, and although the hemorrhoids are not gone, they are reduced significantly. I slept through the night for the first time in a long time. I also had the first normal bowel movement in a long time this morning. Woo hoo -- no bleedint! I was just about at the end of my rope. My doctor said surgery was necessary, but I am in a huge initiative at work and cannot take time off now. Surgery may still be necessary, but at the very least I feel the zinc oxide will get me through the summer. Yes, it is a bit of a mess, but no more than the other creams. I put the cream on a cotton swab and inserted it that way. It is a little cumbersome but well worth the effort. .