Broken Finger - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger.
What were the symptoms of your broken finger?

I crushed the 4th distal phalanx (tip of ring finger) of my right hand. I unintentionally left it between two solid objects as the space reduced. Upside was finger burst open under nail thereby relieving pressure and allowing me to retrieve something. Downside was an open wound as well as a crushed bone. I stopped the bleeding, treated the wound, splinted the finger, changed the dressing, checked for infection, and repeated for 4 weeks. I hope to save the nail; time will tell..

I broke the tip of my right middle finger at the gym doing incline dumbbell presses. After the set, I brought the dumbbells down quickly to the floor. I didn't see the other dumbbells in the same spot and my finger was crushed perfectly between the two; clean break of the tip. I had horrible pain. Orthopedist said a pin would be needed to hold it in place as it was no longer lined up correctly. The 2 days after the procedure hurt worse than the incident itself. It has been three weeks and I have 3 more weeks to go until I can have the pin removed. Exercise with caution!.