Broken Finger - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger.
What were the symptoms of your broken finger?

I broke the tip of my right middle finger at the gym doing incline dumbbell presses. After the set, I brought the dumbbells down quickly to the floor. I didn't see the other dumbbells in the same spot and my finger was crushed perfectly between the two; clean break of the tip. I had horrible pain. Orthopedist said a pin would be needed to hold it in place as it was no longer lined up correctly. The 2 days after the procedure hurt worse than the incident itself. It has been three weeks and I have 3 more weeks to go until I can have the pin removed. Exercise with caution!.

I fell off my bike landing thumb first. It was painful, swollen and the thumbnail became dark. I thought it was throbbing because the blood behind my nail was causing pressure and just needed ice and an anti-inflammatory. Over 3 weeks later and still sore, I finally went to a hand specialist. A quick exam showed that the tip of my thumb was broken and the bone was trying to heal correctly. 6 more weeks and I am still in a splint and swollen. Try not using your writing hand thumb for over 9 weeks. I wish I had gone to my doctor and not waited so long..