Broken Finger - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Broken Finger.
What were the symptoms of your broken finger?

I fell off my bike landing thumb first. It was painful, swollen and the thumbnail became dark. I thought it was throbbing because the blood behind my nail was causing pressure and just needed ice and an anti-inflammatory. Over 3 weeks later and still sore, I finally went to a hand specialist. A quick exam showed that the tip of my thumb was broken and the bone was trying to heal correctly. 6 more weeks and I am still in a splint and swollen. Try not using your writing hand thumb for over 9 weeks. I wish I had gone to my doctor and not waited so long..

Published: June 05

I fractured the knuckle of my middle finger while playing football. The knuckle was severely bruised and swollen and after a few days the whole finger had bruised. .