Cauda Equina Syndrome - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cauda Equina Syndrome.
What was the treatment for your cauda equina?

Twenty years ago, while being a letter carrier, I ruptured two discs, the L4-L5 & L5-S1. I then, periodically, suffered from severe pain and bouts staying in bed for weeks at a time. About 3 yrs. ago the pain became chronic and I went to an orthopedic surgeon who said "by no means should you have an operation!” I was actually pleased that he said that and began seeing a pain management doctor for the moderate daily back pain and started physical therapy. Approximately six months later my L5-S1 collapsed onto my spine causing CES. I lost feeling from the top of my thighs to my waist, could not urinate or defecate and had no sexual feeling in my genital area. I had emergency surgery and was told there was no spinal injury but my spine was "shocked" and it may take up to 2 years. to get the paralyzing feeling to get better but it was told in may never recover completely. Two yrs. later I have almost complete bladder function, minor sexual feeling, but I have a paradoxical sphincter which makes it impossible to deficate without a fiber diet and I use diluted saline enemas to remove any bowel movement that does not come out by pushing normally which for me is straining. Another issue which arose about a year after my disc collapsed was my uterus prolapsed, possible from lack of muscle usage or from straining repeatedly while have BM. I have been told if any symptoms worsen I should have a discetomy on my L4-L5 with relief of severe compression with small cushions? between the discs. I am hoping that eventually less invasion operations using lasers and smaller incisions might be possible in my case. I do feel as if my paradoxical sphincter will never return to its normal state although the inner muscles have been tested and have normal strength. All in all I feel lucky in most senses but I wish the surgeon had operated before the collapse had occurred..

I was diagnosed with 5 fractures in my back my S1 to my L4 about two years ago. After getting to the ER doctors did X-rays which, showed something abnormal, so they did an MRI and then I was in emergency surgery! I had a laminectomy and discectomy! It was successful at first now two months later I'm right back in the same pain. I have lost bladder control. Doctors are telling me that at 30 years old, I’m too young for further surgeries..