Breast Infection - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Breast Infection.
What was the cause of your breast infection?

I am reading all these comments and am scare. I went to the doctor today because of a pain in my right breast and under my right arm. It itches. I am starting to form a little bit of a rash also. They are doing blood work and have me on strong antibiotics. Also my right breast is really swollen and my left one is starting to bother me but not as bad as my right one. The doctor says I probably have a severe breast infection and maybe shingles. They are doing intensive blood work. I know I am not pregnant. I had a partial hysterectomy about 4 years ago and have not had sex in about 4 years. He thinks it might be worse than the infections. This is why he is going for the intensive blood work and going from there. But with my age (38) and with me having an autoimmune problem and my symptoms of nausea, vomiting, being tired, loss of appetite, headaches along with my migraines, shakiness, light headiness, burning in the area on the side of the boob near under the arm and it hurts, itchiness, my nipples are extremely sensitive like when you are pregnant or when you have just given birth and are about to lactate, swollen boob only one of them is, and I can go on. It is so aggravating and I am so worried. I have never seen my doctor this baffled even. Not sure. I looked at the prescriptions and they are strong. It must be bad. I am worried not sure what to do and what it can be. .

I had a mammogram and biopsy quite a few years ago and was diagnosed as having chronic mastitis. I have been on the menopause for 7 years and clear of pain until 3-4 months ago. Doc examined me and says no obvious lumps that give him cause to think cancer but he has made a hospital referral. It’s hurting my entire left breast and not from the nipple to my arm pit as before. I read examination can disguise cancerous lumps..