Hiatal Hernia - Self-Care and Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hiatal Hernia.
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your hiatal hernia?

My sister was diagnosed with Hiatal Hernia. She was admitted to the hospital due to serious stomach pains. They tried to perform a Barium test which could not be completed because she swallowed the Barium but it did not go into the stomach (she later vomited it up). They later performed an endoscopy test (upper GI) and said they saw nothing. .

Published: December 13

I had most of the symptoms described on this site and more. Chest pain, palpitations, gas, horrible pain, anxiety. Finally I was diagnosed with GERD due to a hiatal hernia. Prilosec helped but shouldn’t be taken for more than 2-4 weeks at a time. My doctor wanted to keep me on it permanently as symptoms came back soon after going off prilosec. I looked for safer, natural remedy and found that Mastic Gum capsules treat my problem, safely and permanently. I still have to be careful not to overdo certain foods but my diet generally is open to most foods. .