Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
How was the diagnosis of your irritable bowel syndrome established?

I was diagnosed at the age of 62 with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and have all the symptoms that are associated with it, including after a bowel movement I have to return to the toilet two or three times after, to clean myself again. This can be very distressing..

I was diagnosed with IBS after a bowel scan last year and it is certainly worse when I have my period. I also keep a food diary so I know what triggers an attack. I also take an Imodium Plus before I eat a meal out, just in case, and it does work. I am an anxious person anyway and I think that it is generally accepted that anxiety can affect the stomach. The worst thing about IBS is being far away from a toilet and I had an attack while travelling on the tube home from work once. I was lucky in that the staff at the station were sympathetic and I got to the toilet in time. I think that if you find yourself in such a situation, be honest with people and they will understand. You have to learn to live with it and let's face it there are people out there with a lot worse health issues. IBS isn't life-threatening, just inconvenient..