Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
How was the diagnosis of your irritable bowel syndrome established?

Published: June 07

I received a diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in my late 30s after finally seeing a gastroenterologist. He did a colonoscopy to rule anything else and diagnosed my pain and diarrhea as IBS. Before exams in graduate school I usually had bad flare ups. My family doctor said it was just how I dealt with being nervous. I used to make a joke about how where other people popped Valium when they were nervous I popped Imodium!.

I was diagnosed at the age of 62 with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and have all the symptoms that are associated with it, including after a bowel movement I have to return to the toilet two or three times after, to clean myself again. This can be very distressing..