Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis.
Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

I have being suffering from pancreatitis since 2010, I remember the pain was constant and increasing. With time the pain was on my back and everywhere. I stayed in the hospital for a week but in a short time I returned to the hospital because pain was uncontrollable, so I got a surgery in my gall bladder because of the stones. Therefore, I have been more than 9 times in the hospital. The only problem when I appear in the hospitals I need more dosage for the pain. Also I experienced several pancreatitis attacks but hospitals are very expensive so the only thing I do is stay at my house drinking lots of water without food until the pancreas rest. And sometimes pain killers are not good enough for the pancreas. The doctors are very surprised how I am still alive without any surgery in the pancreas. The hardest thing is to stop drinking wine or any liquor, sometimes I drink and nothing happens so I feel confident but later I know that I would wake up the tiger that is sleeping (pancreas). Then I am worried about how everything will result after many times..

On 1/15 drove to the emergency room with a 'punched in the gut' feeling. I thought it was an ulcer, bad gas, or gastritis. I had a stomach ache for about two weeks. Just an ache, no other symptoms, except that it was getting more intense after eating or drinking. I was admitted for about a day with mild acute pancreatitis. I had no alcohol and light meals for a week. Gradually I started drinking again more like before. Six months went by with minor flare-ups. Almost six months to the day, I was crippled on the floor with severe pain, nausea, I was very pale and weak with a weak pulse and low blood pressure, and sweating like crazy. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital, and diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days. I never had alcohol since. As selfish as this sounds, I am annoyed that I can't and shouldn't drink anymore, but at the same time, I fully understand why. I’d much rather stay alive and be happy then roll the dice by drinking and suffering from another attack, which would probably be way worse than the last time. When I was in the hospital the last time, my lipase level was up to 13,500 when I was admitted. When I was released, the nurse said to me, 'If you ever feel like drinking again, picture yourself feeling like you just got punched hard in the gut'. To date, I am healthy, eating normally, and not drinking alcohol. It's a change for me, but a good change..