Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis.
Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

On 1/15 drove to the emergency room with a 'punched in the gut' feeling. I thought it was an ulcer, bad gas, or gastritis. I had a stomach ache for about two weeks. Just an ache, no other symptoms, except that it was getting more intense after eating or drinking. I was admitted for about a day with mild acute pancreatitis. I had no alcohol and light meals for a week. Gradually I started drinking again more like before. Six months went by with minor flare-ups. Almost six months to the day, I was crippled on the floor with severe pain, nausea, I was very pale and weak with a weak pulse and low blood pressure, and sweating like crazy. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital, and diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days. I never had alcohol since. As selfish as this sounds, I am annoyed that I can't and shouldn't drink anymore, but at the same time, I fully understand why. I’d much rather stay alive and be happy then roll the dice by drinking and suffering from another attack, which would probably be way worse than the last time. When I was in the hospital the last time, my lipase level was up to 13,500 when I was admitted. When I was released, the nurse said to me, 'If you ever feel like drinking again, picture yourself feeling like you just got punched hard in the gut'. To date, I am healthy, eating normally, and not drinking alcohol. It's a change for me, but a good change..

Published: March 17

I always have had pain in the left side of my stomach I have been to doctors about, and they said it was nothing. Then after 2 years of having it on and off, I got it in the stomach and back I went to the hospital; it was pancreatitis. I was released from hospital, then checked up the gallbladder and had it removed, but I still got pain and another 4 bouts of pancreatitis. I have been off alcohol for almost a year, but I am still getting pain and trying to find out what it is. There is a procedure they can do but they don’t want to do it as of yet. This pain has caused me a lot of trouble, meaning, being sad and down a lot plus stress and worry..