Pancreatitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pancreatitis.
Please describe your experience with pancreatitis.

Had classic symptoms of Pancreatitis Oct/06. My GI specialist admitted me for acute. Severe pain continued with gold colored diarrhea (stains the toilet). Told I had chronic pancreatitis (CP) and prescribed Creon 25 and narcotic for pain. Later prescribed Cholestyramine... secondary benefit is bile reduction. My doctor states that not much can be done. I eat smaller meals and map out washrooms if I need to go out. I used to be a heavy drinker 27 years ago but abstained since. Thought it might of been caused by massive amounts of anti biotics (H-Pylori kits) during a 2 year period but GI specialist did not agree. My motto is, "we can accept the good times... why not then the difficult ones.".

I had my gall bladder removed in Sept. 2006. Within 2 weeks after that, I began to have the same symptoms as before the gall bladder was removed. I spoke to my surgeon who ordered an ultrasound which was normal showing no stones. The symptoms disappeared for about 2 years. Then I began to have the symptoms again. I spoke again to my surgeon who ordered another ultrasound which was normal and also had a gastroscopy done which was also normal. He then suggested I see my family physician to have my heart checked out since my pain was high in the abdomen just below my breasts in the middle area. My symptoms again disappeared for about six months. On April 28, 2009 I arrived at work and began again having symptoms of the pressure and pain. I spoke to the surgeon again who works in the same facility as I do and he sent me for some blood work. Immediately after having the blood work completed I became quite weak and felt nauseous and had some jaundice. When the surgeon saw me, he immediately admitted me to the hospital assuming I had passed a gall stone. The following day, I had a CT scan done which showed severe pancreatitis. I was kept in hospital for one week. I continued to be very sick with diarrhea, vomiting and unable to look at food much less eat it. I had another CT scan which showed a 15cm pseudocyst. I then had stents put in via scope to drain the cyst. After two weeks, I still could not eat and still had vomiting. Another scan was done which now showed an abscess. I had another scope in order to insert larger stents to drain the abscess. I remained in hospital for about two weeks this time and could do nothing but sleep. I was still not eating much other than liquids. I was finally discharged and I tried to return to work which was the wrong thing to do. I was so tired and had no energy at all. I then decided to take extended time from work to try and recover. I had some blood work completed which showed my sugar was 23.1. I was immediately admitted back to hospital and have been on insulin ever since. I had no idea that inflammation of the pancreas could be so debilitating. I returned to work full time on August 31, 2009 and now feel fantastic. I have lost a total of 70 pounds (which really needed to go) and am maintaining the weight loss. I feel better now that before the pancreatitis. I truly felt that I was going to die. My only fear is that it may recur. Not sure I could ever go through that again..