Chronic Pain - Management

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Pain.
What steps have you taken to manage your chronic pain?

Published: June 02

The perfect candidate. It started slowly, I started having aches body wide. It hurt to just have someone rub against my skin. My Fibro entered my life at the most depressing and upsetting time. Loss of my job, boyfriend, death of my father, many family illnesses and deaths, putting down my beloved dog, Noelle, probably made my friend thought I had lost desire for him. The pain intensified. No one seemed to understand and seemed to think I was just a chronic complainer. It seemed a no-win situation. Every day became a genuine struggle just to get out of bed, get dressed, and go to my physically demanding job. There was certainly no understanding on the job front, as everyone was required to pull their own weight, which I totally understood. Eventually, I became unable to work and left the job place feeling utterly defeated and wondering how I was going to support myself. I might add that the medications that did provide some relief were not allowed on the job site, so there appeared no solution. To make my already long story shorter, I have had to apply for social security disability. As of this date, no determination has been made. In the meantime, I receive food stamps, have sold possessions, have had to rely somewhat on family and friends. Of course, most families and friends can only supply so much support. Therefore, I have put my situation in God's hands, because I truly cannot deal with all it alone..

Published: June 26

I too suffer from long term chronic pain. I have facet disk disease neuropathy and arthritis in my knees. My doctor suggests pain medication that she will put me on. Then on the next visit, she tries to take me off of it. So when I find something that works that she suggested she tries to take me off it. And now she cuts the dose in half. Now I’m on 15 milligrams of long-acting morphine and 10/325 Norco. Sounds like a lot, but my quality of life improved with these medications. I heard she is afraid of the State of California. That shouldn't be my problem. I am a legitimate patient. I should probably find another doctor who is willing to listen to me and help..