Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Fibrillation (A Fib).
What kinds of treatments have been effective for your atrial fibrillation?

I had rheumatic heart failure as a kid which led to an enlarged heart and two damaged valves (aortic an mitral). My first surgery was to clear out scar tissue then several years later I had both valves replaced with mechanical valves. Since that surgery I was told that I fell into a small percentage group of people who will experience artial fibulation. I have had to have my heart "shocked" or "converted" about 6 times I am presently taking a medication which is being reviewed. It is so scary and I wonder how often a heart can be shocked like that without other problems. I feel well it is Friday and last Saturday I was cardio-verted..

Published: June 16

My a-fib was caused by hyperthyroidism (graves disease) 10 years ago. I drank radioactive iodine to treat the thyroid but the a-fib continued although infrequently. It has become more frequent in the last year. Monthly trips to the hospital via fire department medics. I would convert to sinus rhythm in the hospital with intravenous drugs. The last time my heart beat went to 6 second pauses so they put a pacemaker in so they could increase my Toprol XL to 100 mg. I have had my pacemaker for 2 weeks now and so far I haven't had to call the fire dept. My cardiologist said I still may need cardiac ablation. Time will tell..