Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Fibrillation (AFib).
What types of procedures (for example cardioversion) have you undergone for AFib?

Published: March 22

I have a pacemaker/defibrillator and received a call from pacemaker clinic saying my pacemaker battery was showing low and needed to be changed. I was feeling bad, no energy, just beat and thought the low battery was causing the problem, no. They needed to change the entire pacemaker and just minutes before the cut was made the nurse said I was in atrial fibrillation for a month and out I went. They changed my pacemaker and home I went with a prescription for Pradaxa and didn’t improve. May 2015 I was told that cardioversion was not a sure thing and it could cause more problems if they try it and I should just learn to live with my problem and take Pradaxa. I went to see a new cardiologist and he told me to change my Lipitor to Crestor and stop taking Pradaxa and start taking Eliquis. A short time after changing my drugs was I feeling good, not a lot more energy but felt good. About 3 months later I moved and changed my cardiologist who asked me why we don’t try a cardioversion and he booked me in. Simple procedure, just shock your heart to see if it works. It worked and I feel like I never had a heart attack, and a lot more energy. If you fit the criteria give it a try. I was told after my original heart attack I had 28 percent heart function. Lower section of heart was damaged. Stop drinking water, drink just enough and that's it. The water hurts you and you don’t realize it until you start gaining weight..

Published: December 29

I have had 4 cardioversions for my atrial fibrillation since March, 2012. I also have had over 30 EKGs, many blood draws, 1 TEE (transesophageal echocardiogram), 1 heart echo, 1 nuclear stress test and a whole lot of other tests..