Atrial Fibrillation - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Atrial Fibrillation (AFib).
What types of procedures (for example cardioversion) have you undergone for AFib?

I had atrial fibrillation all the time for the last 5 years. Doctors performed a hybrid ablation procedure last November that cured me. No reoccurrence in the ten months since. They claim an 80 percent cure rate. I am told this special procedure is new and only available in the east coast at a few hospitals. Glad I had it done..

Published: March 11

I am a 46 year old female and have was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation a year and half ago. Can I just say wow, this has been a difficult journey! I have no other health issues, therefore I am told that this is a big positive factor. However, I suffer from many symptoms and my cardiologist says that many doctors would find that interesting because the fact that many doctors say that 'fix the other health issues and atrial fibrillation patients should feel little or no symptoms'. Not true in my case, again I have no other health issues. Any way I am set to have a consultation regarding a catheter ablation and I am a bit nervous. My EKG was normal and when I wore the event monitor for weeks apparently it only showed a few rapid heartbeats and missed beats but I feel something wrong with my heart, I feel it! My cardiologist says that it is atrial fibrillation and I currently am taking diltiasem 30 mg twice a day and it does help. I have noticed the rapid heart rate not be as bad, but the missed beat and fluttering are still there as well as many symptoms. The first cardiothoracic surgeon said he felt I should not do the ablation and scared me out of it when my cardiologist feels I am a good candidate for the surgery since I have no other health issues pertaining to the heart. I will be wearing the event monitor for the second time, for a month and I am emotionally exhausted from this. Life changes have been overwhelming as well, I have not worked in over a year and half..