Insomnia - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Insomnia.
Please describe your experience with insomnia.

From the day I hit menopause, I no longer got any sleep. Since then, I was treated for years with all kinds of medication that also provide sleep remedies. I was on Neurontin, for example, and my dose got all the way up to 4000 mg. Science does not understand the relationship to menopause and chronic insomnia. Ask half the women in a room when their insomnia started and they will say with menopause. Hormones are not the answer and sleep hygiene is not the answer and natural ingredients are not the answer. We need specific medication but no one is looking..

Published: June 05

I have been treated for anxiety and depression for the last 17 years or so and have been taking medication. Like my mother, I also have RLS (restless leg) and I take Requip. I either cannot fall asleep right away or stay asleep anymore and my legs are so jumpy I have to get out of bed. It is now 3:20 AM EST and I have yet to fall asleep. I went to bed at 11:30 PM tonight. There will be times that I sleep for a couple of hours in four days or more. Very tiring and frustrating. I blacked out recently which does concern me. I have no medical insurance so therefore tests are out of the question. .