Meniere's Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meniere Disease.
Please describe your experience with Meniere's disease.

I am at the early stages of Meniere’s. I am a single Mom of 3 kids 1 of which is disabled, it’s been 9 weeks now and that’s me just out of bed the past few days without falling over or being sick. Meniere’s has ruined my life is all I can say. I am afraid to go out I can’t do anything with my children anymore which makes me very depressed and am very anxious all the time waiting for it all to start again. It’s changed me from a very happy social 41 year old into a shell of what I use to be. Staying in bed when these attacks happen just isn’t an option for me with my children and nobody else to look after them. I take 1 day at a time and exist basically because at the moment. I have no life at all and the thought of spending the rest of my life like this I’d rather not think about its a life changing condition and I just pray more research is done about this little known disease to help and hopefully cure it for people in the future..

My diagnosis of Minier's occurred over 30 years ago. We had no insurance to speak of, but after 3 days of being so dizzy all I could do was crawl on hands and knees to the bathroom, I had my teenage brother drive me to the ENT doctor. The doctor did lots of tests, and then said, "I don't know what it is. Come back in 6 weeks if you still have problems." Since I had a full time job but was unable to work at all while feeling so dizzy, my brother took me across town to a different ENT doctor, who also did tests but was able to tell me that day what was going on. He also gave me a prescription for Antivert, information about the syndrome, and instructions on what to do whenever attacks would occur. As that doctor told me it would be, my tinnitus and hearing loss in the affected side has been permanent. He told me nothing would improve the hearing, but surgery could be done to stop the dizziness and tinnitus, though that would destroy what hearing was left in the affected ear. Life is challenging with hearing impairment, but the symptoms are manageable. I chose to keep what hearing I had left as long as possible. Needless to say, I never went back to the first ENT doctor I saw about this..