Multiple Sclerosis - Effective Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Multiple Sclerosis.
What treatment has been effective for your multiple sclerosis?

Published: March 21

I was diagnosed with MS almost a year ago. I have had several attacks since then. I have seen two neurologists. One saying that my brain MRI was terrible; the worst he has seen in over 20 years. The second doctor I went to said that my brain MRI isn't that bad. He sent me for a spinal MRI. News on the spinal was that I have barely any lesions there. I am severely frustrated. One, because I cannot get the answers I desire from either neurologist; and two, because I have trouble walking on my right leg. The neurologist said that he doesn't understand because there aren't any major lesions on my spine. I feel as if I am going crazy! I am not imagining these issues! When the neurologist did my eye neurological exam he rushes me in for a Solu-medrol treatment the same day..

My son's symptoms were over a three-month period. It started in his back. On and off for two months, my son had pains and aches across the middle of his back. We saw my aunt who is a chiropractor and then my son's doctor. Both said he was very tight across his back and suggested physical therapy. It didn't help. That subsided and then his pinky finger went numb for a few days...again, that subsided. A month later, I noticed he was walking funny...that also subsided. Somewhere in the middle of all this, he experienced balance issues, only once though. We knew something wasn't right. Right before our doctor's appointment we noticed his left side was a little weak. His doctor confirmed that he was definitely having issues with balance and reflexes. He referred us to a neurologist. That same night, we had his first spinal MRI and then a day later the brain MRI. Both tests confirmed MS. Turns out he has many lesions in his spine that were causing the back issues. I hope this helps someone. We haven't met any MS patients that actually started with the back pain. .