MRSA - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about MRSA.
What were the symptoms of your MRSA?

Published: March 09

Three years ago I had a boil lanced under my right arm by my dermatologist early one Friday morning. I went home at noon after feeling sick and don't remember anything until my sister found me Monday morning with a full blown case of MRSA in that same area. She got me to my doctor's office who immediately called an ambulance to take me to the hospital. I was unconscious for the next two weeks - had a stroke one week in. During that time I had two huge surgeries on the inside of my right armpit and upper arm. When I woke up, I was unable to speak or move anything on my right side. I was on IV Vancomycin for 4 months and then was put on oral Xyvox. I had a Wound-Vac on my wound area for 5 months until that finally healed. I have never felt so weak in my life! Luckily I had a great doctor who diagnosed what was happening. I still walk with a cane due to my stroke but am so much better after 3 years - however, ANY time I get a cut or anything, I have to see my doctor immediately to be put on antibiotics. MRSA is deadly and I am glad to be alive. My father had MRSA for 20 years living on metal plates in his back. He did not find out what was causing his excruciating pain all that time. Vancomycin did the trick for him but many, many months of it. I was told I picked up the MRSA from him..

Mine began with some little bumps just above the brow. That area became swollen. I pressed the white pimple-like stuff out and obviously touched my face to the right of my nose. This stuff virtually ate ulcerations into my face. I was diagnosed with rosacea. I knew it was something else. Upon a culture, staph, then MRSA, showed up. I am taking doxycycline, and using antibiotic ointment in my nose twice a day. It is NOT healing to my liking..