Staph Infection - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Staph Infection.
What was the treatment for your staph infection?

I got Staphylococcus aureus in 2005 after surgery on foot. Then it came back in 2011 and now June 2015. I was in hospital 10 days with IV cephalexin antibiotic. Now I am home with an IV line 1,000 mg per day for 5 weeks then will be on oral antibiotic Keflex for 6 to 12 weeks. I tried bathing it in frankincense 10 drops and tea tree oil 10 drops and it responded well to that, however doctors said not to bathe it, but keep dry. I have just started a 5 day regimen of taking turmeric/curcumin 600 mg day..

My mother is currently in the hospital with a serious staph infection. This is her 2nd time in the hospital since Thanksgiving. It started with swelling of the knee and knee pain. It grew worse and we took her to emergency where they gave her pain medications and sent her home. We made an appointment with a specialist and took her to the Bone and Joint Clinic where they gave her a shot for inflammation and sent her home. A couple days later I was trying to move up her appointment due to severe pain and swelling and the doctor wouldn't call back or change the appointment to an earlier time. A couple of days later an ambulance was called as she could not get up to use the restroom. They finally decided it is staph and immediately operated on the knee. She stayed a few weeks and was sent to a nursing home for a few more weeks then was sent home with a clean bill of health. A couple of weeks later she was back in the hospital with staph in the other knee and another operation. She is still there. I am angry they kept sending her home and ignoring the signs of this and kept calling it arthritis. Now it is found to be in her heart valve and spine as well. Mom said today her first knee is swollen and red again and they gave her blood yesterday. I am worried if it is staph she may not make it this time. They can't seem to get rid of it even enough to get her walking or to go home. Her Medicaid will run out shortly for the hospital stay and not sure what will happen if they send her back to a nursing home. This is so serious. If you have redness and swelling in a joint get seen right away and if it gets worse go back again and again until someone treats you..