Fainting - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fainting.
Please describe your experience with fainting.

I was sick this past Saturday, but only a minor cold. I spent most of the day sleeping on the couch and didn't have a lot to eat or drink. Sunday morning I felt much better, had a shower and breakfast and started going about doing things at home. I sat down for a few minutes to talk to my fiancé, stood up, felt everything drain from me, and the next thing I knew I was on the floor with him kneeling down beside me. I sometimes get dizzy when standing too suddenly or in too hot of a shower. I suspect that not eating much or staying hydrated all day Saturday, combined with my menstrual cycle (which started the day before I got sick and often wreaks some havoc on my body hormonally, especially with blood sugar) caused me to faint upon standing. It was my first experience with fainting. (I have passed out before from blood sugar issues, but this felt completely different and my glucose checked fine.).

I fainted just today, the second time in six months. The first time, my head felt buzzy and I was down for a bit longer. This time, I just felt dizzy and found myself on the floor. Both episodes occurred after getting up quickly from a reclined position on the couch. I make it from the living room to the kitchen before falling. I am a bulimic and have been purging frequently as of late. Dehydration is most likely the cause of my episodes..