Colon Cancer - Signs and Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colon Cancer.
What signs and symptoms did you experience with your colon cancer?

I was having an extreme amount of fatigue, acid reflux, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, lightheadedness; my ankles and feet were swollen for a couple of days so I was scared it was something to do with my heart so I called my Internist to see if I could get a physical. He at first was going to have me try Prilosec for the acid reflux but he made a comment that I looked anemic so he decided to do a physical. I had an EKG that same day then I came back the next day and had blood drawn, a pulmonary test and chest x-rays. He called me the next day and said that my hemoglobin was down to 5.5, I was dangerously anemic and that it could be life threatening if I didn't get to the hospital right away. I went to the ER and they ended up checking me in. I was given 5 units of blood and was scheduled for an Endoscopy and Colonoscopy the next morning. When I woke up expecting to hear bleeding ulcer, they told me I had colon cancer. I had a mass 2.5" long x 3" wide and there were several of my lymph nodes affected. They also did a CAT scan where they detected a cyst and an undefined mass on my liver along with a cyst which they originally thought was on my ovary but ended up it was on my tubes. I just had the surgery last Friday; they removed 1/4 of my colon and the cyst that was on my tubes (it was benign). The mass and cyst on my liver were both benign. I received my path rpt this week and there were 32 negative lymph nodes. I will be seeing the surgeon on Monday and he will refer me on to an Oncologist to determine if I need chemo. I am 51 years old and this was my 1st colonoscopy; I always swore I would never have one because of the prep. I am just so thankful that I went in when I did. Listen to your body; if something doesn't feel "right" and you don't feel like yourself; go to your doctor just to be safe. I don't know if I would even had went in still this week if my co-worker hadn't put little scare into me..

Published: April 19

I am a 63 year old female, recently diagnosed with colon cancer after submitting a fecal sample. What alerted me that something was wrong is an extreme craving for sugar, weight gain and pencil thin stools. I developed a 'belly' when all my life my abdomen was flat. Years prior I noticed blood in my stool, but my physician told me not to worry and it probably was from my hemorrhoids. I am scheduled for my first colonoscopy. I am dreading the results..