Fifth disease - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Fifth Disease.
What were the symptoms of your fifth disease?

I am a preschool teacher and I contracted Fifth Disease over a year ago. I began to feel bad a few days after a student sneezed on me. I developed a rash on my face, chest, and arms. My knees and elbows were swollen to almost twice their size and hurt tremendously. I was in so much pain that I finally went to the emergency room, I was immediately admitted to the hospital and was there almost a week. After many blood tests, I was diagnosed with Human Parvovirus B19. I have had a couple of other illnesses over the past few months and my doctor feels fairly certain that they all are a result of the Fifth disease. Needless to say, I feel that this is no minor illness for adults..

I started with a terrible headache for two days. Then I woke up not able to move my wrists or turn my head because my neck was stiff. The next day I couldn't lift my arms up over my head and my feet and knees felt achy. The doctors did an MRI of my head and neck. I was tested for Lyme and several other illnesses. Finally a week and a half later the blood tests revealed that I had parvovirus. Four weeks later I am feeling much better but still experiencing tingling and soreness in my hands and wrists. Cannot wait for this virus to be gone!.