Strep Throat - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat.
What was the cause of your strep throat?

Published: April 12

II am an adult and I frequently get strep throat. It usually hits me all of a sudden and I need antibiotics to get better (my Dr usually gives me Azithromyocin 5 day tablet). It usually happens more frequently in winter and spring, but I've gotten it in the summer too. I notice it happens mostly with severe weather changes. For instance if it's a nice sunny day, then the weather drops dramatically by night fall-or if it's windy and cold-and I don't have a scarf on to protect my throat, I'll get sick. I tend to take a Theraflu if I feel it coming on the night before, by either my throat starting to hurt or my ear starting to hurt-sometimes that helps. And sleeping with a Halls in my mouth is not uncommon too. More often than not though this doesn't stop strep from coming on, and if I don't get antibiotics I won't get better. I think I just have a weak immune system in general (my white blood cell count is always below normal). And I notice that if I have Sinusitis and don't get treated for that right away, then strep throat usually follows. Either way, it's a terrible disease to have as an adult because since it's so uncommon, most people don't understand why you get sick so often (like your boss at work) and you can't help that you are so sensitive to it!.

They did the rapid test and it was positive. I work with kids so I must have gotten it from one of them. I have swollen glands, painful swallowing, high fever and body aches..