Costochondritis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Costochondritis.
What treatment has been effective for your costochondritis?

I went to the emergency room with the concern I may be having some heart issue. There I had an EKG, x-ray, and pressure exam on my rib cage. I was told it was costochondritis. The doctor gave me a prescription for Ibuprofen for the inflammation and pain. When I got home, the pain continued so intense I couldn't rest. Finally, I got a heating pad placed it on my chest and soon began to feel some relief. Although the weather is hot, I'm willing to sweat some so I can get the relief from the pain..

I have had chest pain for several years now and have been recently diagnosed with costochondritis after numerous EKGs, echo cardiographs and hospital visits. However I have found a semi-cure or preventive. These past two years I have been lifting weights and building muscle in the chest area. This I found to reduce the chest pain and reduce the duration. I also use or was given lidocaine patches and a topical lotion to help with the pain. Since I have been building the muscle in my chest I noticed the area in which you press down on to agitate the chest pain, has gotten smaller. I hope this helps those who are suffering from this..