Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst.
What treatment has been effective for your Bartholin cyst?

I get these Bartholin cysts often. My Dr. said I'm more prone because I'm diabetic which also causes yeast infections more often. After using hot compresses for a few days, just wiping sometimes will pop it. I was told to make sure to continue to squeeze the blood out, to rinse out the infection, so to speak. I follow with antibiotic ointment and never have had complications. The pain is relieved immediately after it's drained completely. Sometimes I have to squeeze it more than once to make sure it's completely drained. My Dr. says to come in if it gets worse or if the swelling remains after draining it..

I have had these cysts 5 or 6 times over the past 20 years. Unfortunately, three of those times were while on vacation, so had to find a doctor rather than seeing my regular doctor. I've had them lanced, I've taken antibiotics and I've had fever. Mine get large rapidly and I have found that lancing is usually only effective if I've had the cyst for several days. Antibiotics and sitz baths or hot compresses seem to work, but over a period of about a week, so there is pain and discomfort in the meantime. I have found that Tylenol helps with the pain..