Bartholin Cyst - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Bartholin Cyst.
What treatment has been effective for your Bartholin cyst?

I had a Bartholin cyst develop into an abscess. My general physician prescribed antibiotics and advised me to have it removed. I went on a waiting list to have the operation. After taking the antibiotics the cyst didn't decrease and was the size of a large pea. It was painful to touch. I started drinking silica every day. Over the three months it took waiting for the surgery the cyst disappeared and has not returned. I ended up cancelling the surgery. If I had one again I would definitely take silica right away..

It started out as a small swollen area the size of a pea, about a week ago and I didn't pay much attention to it thinking it'd go away on its own. Over the next two days the Bartholin cyst started swelling up and caused pain, so I went to my general physician (GP) on the 3rd day and was prescribed antibiotics cephalexin. The GP advised me to wash with hot water using my shower head and apply heat pads to it. It started swelling up to the size of quail eggs and was very painful. And today after applying a heat pack to it and taking a warm sitz bath (I didn't have Epsom salt so just used table salt) it popped and I felt relief. I think the daily sitz bath and applying a heat pack at night while I sleep helped..