Meningitis in Adults - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meningitis in Adults.
What symptoms did you experience with meningitis?

I had a bad earache and just thought I was getting a cold. I took a bath and went to bed. The next morning, I got up to go to work but I was extremely lethargic. My husband kept asking me what was wrong and finally, when I couldn't answer him, he called 911. I couldn't answer the paramedic’s questions correctly on the way to the hospital. I was almost unconscious by the time I arrived at the hospital. I did not have a fever, or more obvious symptoms. The nurse said there was one more test, a spinal tap. The fluid showed I had Bacterial Meningitis. The next 24 hours were crucial. I was on 4 antibiotics until they found the one that would treat my bacteria. I was in the hospital 5 days and had a pic line in my arm to receive IV antibiotics for 14 more days. Without my husband's quick actions, I would not be here today. He saved my life!.

My symptoms started as flu-like. I became more lethargic over 24 hours. I had an extreme headache and neck pain with increasing weakness in left leg when I walked. Confusion set in once I arrived at the ER..