Molluscum Contagiosum - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Molluscum Contagiosum.
What treatment has been effective for your molluscum contagiosum?

Published: April 20

A couple of years ago, my two young daughters had molluscum contagiosum for 18 months and it wasn't going away. They each had about 12 to 20 of them at a time. They did not reuse towels or pajamas and I washed laundry with a little bleach to disinfect. They wore pajamas that covered the dots so I didn’t wash them every day, but did wash them weekly. They were only allowed showers, no baths. Still no luck. I finally started having success when I controlled when the dots pop, as the insides is what spreads it. I sterilized a thin needle or pin in rubbing alcohol. After their shower, I used cotton balls and alcohol on all the 'dots' and on the opposing skin (so if one was under the arm, I would also wipe the area on the rib cage where the dot would touch if the arm was down). Then starting with the red ones (the ones that may be popping soon), I used the needle to carefully take out the core of the dot, careful to try to not let any of it touch skin. I blotted them, then took a fresh cotton ball with alcohol, wiped the area and then blew on it like crazy to help with the sting. I only did 1 or 2 a night and then waited 3 to 4 days. Just be sure to get them when they start to turn red. Every night I wiped all the dots and opposing skin with alcohol and maybe the freshly popped ones in the morning too. Once they were dot free, they got to take bubble baths again!.

Published: March 20

I know I can't be the only one who was at their wit's end with this rash/skin virus so I thought I would share what worked for our family. Our nightmare with molluscum contagiosum began with my 6 year old who was exposed to it at school. I didn't think anything of it at first because there were only a few bumps under her arm, but within a few weeks it spread like crazy and my youngest who's only 18 months started showing signs too! I was definitely not going to have the doctor freeze them off or use beetle juice because of all the horror stories I've seen about the pain so for about 2 months I tried (what felt like) everything under the sun! Tea tree oil was too painful, apple cider vinegar seemed like it was starting to work but then just made it worse and aggravated my youngest child’s skin, Emuaid was just a waste of money; the list goes on. Anyhow, I looked through a few forums desperate for something and found DermAllay. It was natural, which made me slightly apprehensive about its effectiveness, but the product claims that it doesn't burn or blister, they had a specific product for infants, and when I emailed them they offered to refund my money if it didn't work since I had already tried so many products! I had it sent next day shipping and I honestly couldn't get over how well it's worked! I started seeing a difference the next day on my baby, and it took about a week on my 6 year old! It has been almost 4 weeks since I started using the DermAllay and my 6 year old went from 30 plus bumps to 5 (a few stubborn ones left but almost gone) and my little one has had zero for the last 2 weeks!.