Rectal Cancer - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Rectal Cancer.
What symptoms did you experience with rectal cancer?

I had diarrhea on and off for approximately three months after my 48th birthday. I had lots of indigestion for approximately 3 years prior to this. My GP requested I have a colonoscopy. I had a 4cm tumor. I had surgery, 6 sets of chemotherapy and combined chemo and radiation. I have recently cleared all my yearly screenings. I currently still experience frequent stools due to the damage done to my digestive system as a result of the chemo. In February 2011, I experienced severe pain in the region of my heart. My doctor suggested I have an endoscope. The cause of the pain was due to the presence of thrush in my esophagus caused by the chemotherapy. I am very grateful to be alive, I advise people not to ignore any problem with your digestive system and never ever self diagnose as I did thinking I only had diarrhea..

I have Parkinson’s, and the (med) I take makes me constipated a lot. I have regular scans every 3 years. There is a high rate of bowel cancer in my family, This year It had only been 2 years since my last scan, The only symptoms I had was thin Stools feeling bloated all the time. I told my GP I wanted to go early for a scan , The results were a polyp in my rectum , which had cancer in it, I have had several tests since, my doctor said it was early stages. He is keeping an eye on it, regular screenings. I hope I am doing the right thing..