Hepatitis C - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Hepatitis C.
What was or has been the treatment for your hepatitis C, and was it effective?

I was diagnosed with hepatitis C about 9 years ago. At first, I was emotionally devastated. My symptoms were bad, and I just felt like I was going to die. My dentist didn't want to see me anymore when I told her that I had the virus, and my family reacted very badly. It was quite an effort, but I didn't give up. The first months or years are the hardest. I quit drinking and using recreational drugs altogether and made some important changes to my diet. My viral count and liver enzymes went from very high to undetectable and normal, respectively. I've had few problems throughout these last years, and my liver enzymes have remained normal, for the most part. If you have been diagnosed with hepatitis C, you need to stop drinking almost completely, and stop eating processed and fatty foods. If you're overweight, lose weight. A fatty liver is the second worse thing you can have after alcohol. If at all possible, quit smoking. If you take any medication or are about to take any, be sure to let the doctor know about your hepatitis. Get into the habit of asking your doctor or pharmacist if this medication is potentially damaging to the liver. If you take vitamins, be sure you are taking safe levels, high amounts of vitamins A, D and iron are harmful to the liver. Try taking milk thistle and dandelion as an herbal supplement. These are helpful and are widely used in Europe for hepatitis. It is absolutely not a death sentence, and if you take these steps, you can, in all likelihood, have a perfectly normal life. Many people with hepatitis C never develop cirrhosis and some even clear the virus spontaneously within the first year of infection. Even if it has been more than a year since you were infected, take heart. If you treat yourself well and make some positive changes in your life, everything is going to turn out much better than you think..

Published: December 07

I was diagnosed with hep C in 1991. I was treated in a study. I had a biopsy after about 9 months of taking 2 shots weekly of Interferon. It was a total success. My AST and ALT have been very low since completion of treatments in 1992. I have had a RHA test for 4 years ending in 2008. All 100% normal. I now drink alcohol moderately and get blood work every 6 months, it has always been normal. The doctors say you can't get rid of HEP C virus, but they can't detect any level in my body. They said if I wanted to give blood they could not detect anything. I would not since here is no medical proof that the virus can be completely cured. They say it might be possible, but not proven as of now. I highly recommend Interferon alone as I did not get sick. I felt weak and flu like for 1 or 2 days, then no affect for all nine months of taking shots 2 times a week. Final biopsy was 100% normal..