Finger Infection - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Finger Infection.
What treatment has been effective for your finger infection?

Published: April 30

My mother is elderly and her thumb became inflamed after helping my father clean up after a bowel movement. Four days later, when I realized her thumb was infected, I bought Polysporin and hydrogen peroxide. The peroxide did not do anything because the wound was not open. The Polysporin did not seem to help. We went to the doctor on Wednesday and the assistance prescribed Oxycycline. After taking this for five days, the thumb was worse. The pus had begun to turn dark brown under the skin. We took another trip to the doctor, who cut open the finger and cleaned the wound. He has asked my mom to leave the finger strictly alone and not take any more of the prescribed antibiotic. We will return to see the doctor in 24 hours..

I have been working in my garden and believe that a grass spur or what is known as a sticker which grows in the grass has gotten into my finger. It was red and swollen and very hot. After hurting quite a bit I decided to go to the doctor. He recomended Doxycycline. I am taking 2 tablets a day (30) tablets as an antivirus. I understand I have to drink a great of water accompanying this medicine. .