Diabetic Ketoacidosis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Diabetic Ketoacidosis.
What symptoms did you experience with diabetic ketoacidosis?

When I was 29, about three years ago, I began to have the constant urge to urinate. It was almost like a UTI, but without the burning. The urge and frequency got worse and worse. My husband took me to the ER and they put me on antibiotics, assuming I had a UTI. The antibiotics did not help at all. I had to start wearing diapers because I just could not make it to the restroom on time. I was thirsty ALL the time. I drank and drank and drank and drank. Simultaneously, I urinated, urinated, and urinated. I felt tired with a lack of appetite. Finally my husband took me back to the ER and within twenty minutes, the doctor came back and said I had diabetic ketoacidosis. My husband and I were completely and utterly shocked. I had no signs of diabetes up to this point. My blood sugar was 797. They rushed me to ICU and I slipped into a coma. I was in a diabetic coma for five days and thereafter, in the hospital for three more weeks until the doctors could figure out what kind of insulin I needed and how much. It was a frustrating process for everyone involved. I eventually was referred out to an endocrinologist and they finally were able to figure out the puzzle, which was what insulin, how much, and how often. It was difficult and took great patience, but three years later, I am hear and my blood sugar levels are being controlled with the right insulin, exercise, diet, good doctors, and a lot of hard work. Do not ignore the signs. Do not wait until you are in diabetic ketoacidosis to get help. Follow your gut instincts and listen to those around you who know you the best. DO NOT be stubborn. It could be the difference between life and death. I NEVER suspected diabetes, especially type 1 diabetes, at 29 years of age. I always assumed that was a childhood disease. That is such a common, yet untrue understanding people have. I now depend on two types of insulin every day of my life to live. I'm okay with that, as long as I am alive. The best advice I can give you overall is, do not ignore the warning signs. You know your body. When things don't feel right, they probably aren't. Catch diabetes early, before it turns into diabetic ketoacidosis. .

With diabetic ketoacidosis, I had extreme thirst and fatigue and I was shaking nervously..