Constipation in Children - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Constipation in Children.
What treatment has been effective for your child's constipation?

My 7 year old daughter has been soiling herself and wetting herself for over a year. It seemed as if it was a behavioral issue as she was getting too involved in play and soiling herself. In retrospect I should have taken her to the doctor much earlier. It took her wetting in my husband's car for him to force the issue of a doctor. As soon as I told the doctor, he said she had constipation. I don't know if I really believed him as all of the soiling appeared soft. But apparently what happens is that it leaks around the harder stools that have blocked them up and also puts pressure on the bladder causing them to urinate. We are currently starting treatment using oral laxatives although the doctor says it could take months to fix. We are also including a lot more fiber in the diet. I would encourage everyone to seek help early, we left it way too long and now it's going to be a long road to fix..

Fruit juice was the best remedy for constipation in children. I can't find any better remedies that can help my daughter to get rid of the constipation. I highly prefer the pear juice and the apple juice for constipated child. My daughter is fussy, so I only add 1 ounce of fruit juice to dilute with fluids. She did not notice and was able to finish the whole bottle. It helps her to get rid of the constipation problem when she was only 2 years old..