Paronychia (Nail Infection) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Paronychia (Nail Infection).
What treatment has been effective for your paronychia (nail infection)?

Well, my paronychia started after chipping and painting hog feeders. The right thumb has a tender area along the edge of the nail in the direction of the other fingers. The skin is separated from the nail; has a small pocket. It has been about three months now. My doctor instructed me to soak morning and evening in warm white distilled vinegar each day. I am doing 5 minutes each day. I was using 3 percent hydrogen peroxide to soak the finger also for five minutes. The infection is not getting worse but not healing. I use my hand and thumb every day for the technician work that I do. The nail is felt to be pressing the skin when a task calls for contact to the area. I try to grip without pressing the skin at the location towards the other fingers so it can heal. Difficult! I was trying Mercuroclear for a week. I quit as there was no improvement. I am looking to use liquid garlic extract next. I will try the warm 50/50 mixture of distilled water (we have a well) and antibacterial soap for 15 minutes each day before the garlic extract and see if that gives better improvement. I wear nitrile gloves to keep out dirt during work in my garden and at the job. I want to avoid the oral antibiotic, clindamycin, which may have a low risk side effect of possible liver injury..

My doctor gave me 4 weeks of antibiotics and soaking, but my paronychia didn’t get better. So then he tried 2 weeks of bacterial medications, which didn’t work and also gave me a rash. Then he referred me to a hand doctor, who gave me antifungal medications topical and oral, 3 weeks on this and it is slowly getting better. Half my nail fell off with more that looks like it will, but it doesn’t hurt like it did. I have 3 weeks of medicines left then hopefully it will be all cleared up, except for no nail. I advise anyone not to wait to see doctor over what seems to be superficial..